Thursday, February 20, 2014

Barry Steps Down After 45 Years

After 45 years of service, Sewanee athletic department staff member Bill Barry has announced he will retire from the University at the end of the school year.

“I have enjoyed working for the University and the athletic department during my time on the mountain,” said Barry. “The coaches, athletic directors and support staff, along with the administration during this time, have been a pleasure to work with throughout my career.”

The athletic department will recognize Barry prior to tonight’s (Friday, Feb. 21) men’s home basketball game at 8 p.m. in Juhan Gymnasium.

Barry will step away as one of the most highly regarded staff members of the department of athletics. In 2011, Barry was inducted into the Sewanee Athletics Hall of Fame. 

Barry was hired as the head athletic trainer at Sewanee in 1969. Barry served for 25 years in the training room before taking the role of facilities and business manager when the Robert Dobbs Fowler Center opened in 1994.


“The Sewanee faithful regularly beat a path to Bill’s office to reminisce about Tiger athletics from years ago,” said Mark Webb, athletic director. “His many contributions to the athletics department over the past four-and-a-half decades are immeasurable, and I know our entire athletics staff offers him our heartfelt gratitude and very best wishes in his well-deserved retirement.”

Barry has been recognized as one of the nation’s top athletic trainers. After 41 years of serving on various national, state, and district committees, Barry was inducted into the Tennessee Athletic Trainers Hall of Fame in 2001.

“The most important part of my experience at Sewanee was the chance to work with our outstanding student-athletes,” said Barry. “All the student-athletes I have treated and then watched during the years made my work not a job, but a joy.”

Upon retirement, Barry plans on spending time with his wife of 42 years, Gail.

“I want to thank Gail for all her support throughout my career,” he said. “I want to thank everyone with whom I’ve worked with over the years. Even though this phase of my life is coming to an end, my blood will always be purple. Sewanee has been and always will be ‘right’.”

No comments:

Post a Comment