Thursday, March 26, 2015

Shackelford Reaches 500 Wins

Already the winningest coach in Sewanee athletic history, women’s tennis head coach Conchie Shackelford earned her career win No. 500 on March 22, as No. 14 Sewanee defeated No. 23 Mary Washington, 6-3. She is 500-183 in her 29th season at Sewanee. This year, the women’s tennis team is 10-3 and ranked No. 14.

“I couldn’t be happier doing anything else other than coaching tennis,” Shackelford said. “I have the perfect job for me.” She has led Sewanee to 28 straight winning seasons, which is also the most in school history. 

“I give a lot of credit to my husband,” she said about John Shackelford, head coach of the men’s tennis team. “He coaches with me, helps me recruit and takes care of so many things for me each day.” John Shackelford is second to his wife as Sewanee’s all-time winningest coach in any sport. His record stands at 481-273.

Shackelford has been her league’s coach of the year four times.


“Under Conchie Shackelford’s leadership, the Sewanee’s women’s tennis program has flourished with extraordinary accomplishments on the conference and national levels,” said Mark Webb, Sewanee athletic director. “Reaching the milestone of 500 wins places her in a rare category for college coaches in any sport. We congratulate her on this momentous achievement.”

Shackelford’s teams have finished in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings for the last 27 years. She has coached three national senior players of the year, three conference players of the year and 12 players who have been All-Americans a total of 36 times.

“I really love being with my players,” she said. “We spend a lot of time together, on the courts and traveling in the vans, and we have a good time.” 

Shackelford began coaching on a part-time basis at Sewanee after moving here with her husband. They were both recent graduates of University of North Carolina-Wilmington. 

“My salary that first year was $3,500,” Shackelford recalled, “but the money didn’t mean anything to me. I wanted to coach.” She has coached hundreds of young women during her career and has guided dozens to national and conference awards both on and off the court.

No comments:

Post a Comment